Monday, August 29, 2011

Scored on Sunday with Lemon-Thyme chicken

Happy Monday to you!

Start of a new week. Yay! New recipes, new adventures, and learning new things! Happy day! :)

And in the spirit of starting off well, I bring you the recipe I finally tried last night. Lemon-Thyme Roasted Chicken with Finglerling Potatoes that I made buttered green beans (steamed or boiled green beans with 2 Tbsp butter added) to go with... :)
I've had this one on the plan for 2 consecutive weeks now I believe. I have absolutely come to DREAD dealing with raw chicken. I've never been a fan, but lately it's increased. I'm so averse to it that I will ONLY deal with boneless skinless breasts. Or precooked frozen chicken. There has never been a whole chicken in my house and the likelihood of that ever happening is slim to none. Ewww!!
I am all about frugality and I realize that whole chickens are so much cheaper but there isn't a chance on this earth that I would ever deal with one........Never gonna happen!!
Anyway...I have been avoiding this recipe, even though it sounded delicious, because I was shuddering at the thought of having to deal with the chicken. Yeah.....that'll teach me to not read the directions first...I didn't have to "deal" with the chicken. As a matter of fact, I never touched it! I stabbed it with a knife and put it from the package to the pan (no I didn't rinse it this time...). Yeah baby! Woo!
And I'm really glad I did finally decide to make it. It was delicious. As a matter of fact.....Justice ate it!!!! She wasn't a fan of the potatoes or the green beans, but she ate my entire (very small) chicken breast! Yay!!!!
Jackpot baby!!! :)
So...without any further ado..I give you.......
The Recipe! :)

Lemon-Thyme Roasted Chicken with Fingerling Potatoes (courtesy of recipe.com)

4 teaspoons canola oil or olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/4 teaspoon regular salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise, or tiny new red or white potatoes, halved
4  small skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 to 1-1/4 pounds total)
2 cloves garlic, minced (I sliced mine rather than messing with mincing)
1  lemon, thinly sliced








1. In a very large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Stir 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme, the salt, and pepper into the oil. Add potatoes; toss to coat. Cover and cook for 12 minutes, stirring twice.

2. Stir potatoes; push to one side of the skillet. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Arrange chicken breast halves on the other side of the skillet. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.







3. Turn chicken. Spread garlic over chicken breast halves; sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Arrange lemon slices on top of chicken. Cover and cook for 7 to 10 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170°F) and potatoes are tender.





This meal was delicious! Minus my added veggie, it's a one-pot! Woo! :)
My chicken was small and there were actually only 4 breast halves in the package, whereas there are usually 5 and I wasn't paying attention... Next time I make this I will definitely make more so that we can have leftovers. As I said, Justice devoured the chicken (except for the 2 small bites I took) and Dominic loved it as well, which doesn't usually happen with lemon. So.....Yay!!! :)

I'll be repeating this one again in the future, and I hope that you find the same when you try it!
Enjoy,

Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a little love. I LOVE comments and am appreciative of yours. Feel free to leave me the link to your page and/or newest post as well! I'm all about Link Love! :)