Sunday, August 21, 2011

Brown Sugar Spice Cake...Yummy from the crock-pot!

Well, it may or may not have escaped your attention, but I'm not a big baker.

(clip art courtesy of clipsahoy.com)


Pretty much not even occasionally. Rarely is probably the appropriate term. And yet, I love baked goods. I would love to have my house smell of something lovely baking in the oven. For some reason, it just seems to be one of those things that, whether actuality or not, I'm convinced it just takes so long to prep and so I can't bring myself to do it. (And, with Justice's allergy to ALL nuts, I can't buy most ready-to-bake items.) So....that means we do without. Which, nutrition wise, is perfectly fine and dandy! Plus, since my kids aren't allowed to eat cookies or cake on any kind of regular basis, it's not all that big an issue.
But still....it would be nice to have those delicious smells permeating our little apartment and being able to have some nice homemade treat every once in a while...

(clip art courtesy of clipartheaven.com)


Well...I managed to find a recipe that got me just those things! And I didn't have to bake it!
(Not in the oven at least)

I present.....
Brown Sugar Spice Cake   a la Slow Cooker! :) (found on recipe.com)
Yeah baby!

Ingredients
Vegetable cooking spray
1 can  (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup (Regular or Healthy Request®)
1/2 cup  water
2   eggs
1 box  (about 18 ounces) spice cake mix
1 1/4 cups  hot water
3/4 cup  packed brown sugar
1 tsp.  ground cinnamon
Serving Suggestion: Vanilla ice cream

Directions
1   Spray the inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with the cooking spray.
2   Combine the soup, water, eggs and cake mix in a medium bowl and mix according to the package directions. Pour the batter into the cooker.
3   Stir the water, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pour over the batter.
4   Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
5   Spoon the cake into bowls, spooning the sauce from the bottom of the cooker. Serve warm with the ice cream.

Just finished step 3
(So...I'm totally admitting it...I remembered to take a picture of the before, but completely forgot to take a picture of the finished product! Yep...Go me! Wooo!!!!
~sigh~
My apologies to you.)

This recipe had me very unsure. I mean......Tomato Soup in a cake mix??? Umm.........no thank you! But I decided to go ahead and give it a shot. And whadya know?! We were all glad I did. :)
This made our little apartment smell yummy and the taste was quite nice too.
Dominic commented that it would be great in the morning with some tea or coffee (so much so apparently that he keeps calling it coffee cake LOL)
Both kiddos enjoyed their little tastes of it as well. :)

I hope that you give this one a shot (despite the tomato soup weirdness). Easy to make dessert (or breakfast as the case may be) and you don't have to have the oven on heating up the house! Yay!

Enjoy!

Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a little love. I LOVE comments and am appreciative of yours. Feel free to leave me the link to your page and/or newest post as well! I'm all about Link Love! :)