Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Marking pages and hearts...Teacher Thank You gift #3

Good Tuesday morning to you all! I hope that everyone had a wonderful weekend. I, for one, had an absolutely amazing weekend spending time with out of state friends and destressing. It was just what this tired mom and wife needed. Now to tackle SUMMER! Today is the last day of school here (all 4 1/2 hours of it). So that also means that it's the last day (this school year) to express my gratitude to Evan's phenomenal teacher. I was up late last night making another craft for her which I gave her this morning. I'm still going to do one more thing for her (I think a note/card, possibly something else) for this afternoon but I haven't gotten quite that far yet. I figured I would post for you my creation from last night.
I went searching online (I didn't even get to my blog list, I hit Google 1st and was presented with a wealth of wonderful ideas!) for teacher/thank you gifts and ideas. Holy Cow! There are some really terrific ideas out there! Wow! Talk about hitting the jackpot! I found so many great things I had a hard time deciding. In my search, I found a great idea that I tweaked a bit.
A no sew (I don't) ribbon bookmark. I had everything on hand (the only prerequisite) so away I went. :)

Supplies are pretty much up to you! Whatever tickles your fancy. I used 5/8" printed grosgrain ribbon, 5/8" organza ribbon, and 1/8" ribbon all cut to same length. I didn't measure it out, I just eyeballed a good length to fit most books...
For embellishments, I used a large button, a flower brad, a cloth flower and two small buttons.
(along with hot glue)

I pushed the flower brad through the cloth flower then through 2 of the button holes. After lining up (and sealing with a lighter) the edges of the ribbon and gluing them together, I carefully pushed the brad through the ribbon and folded over the ends. I used the table to help push them as tight and flat as possible. I applied more hot glue to the folded ends of the brad and applied the white heart shaped button.
I then dabbed very small dots of glue at 2 intervels along the ribbons to adhere them. I heat sealed and glued the bottom ribbon edges together and added the red heart button on top.
Done.


The fixins' for my card. I cut the base square 5x5, the red square 4.5x4.5 and the white 4x4. I chose 2 safety pins and 2 eyelets to fasten and accent. (I also used double sided tape between each layer)


Once assembled, I used a very light pencil to draw lines to guide my writing. After the message was in place, I erased the lines quite easily. I slipped the book mark behind the base and middle squares and it was ready to go.
 This project is nothing spectacular but it's heartfelt, that's for sure! I will most definitely make more of these in the future for various people/gifts.
I hope you enjoy my little creation and you try it soon! :)

Mo

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving a little love. I LOVE comments and am appreciative of yours. Feel free to leave me the link to your page and/or newest post as well! I'm all about Link Love! :)