Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A fishy experience from the lady who avoids domesticity - A Guest Post! :)

Happy Tuesday Friends!
Today you get a new treat! A guest post from one of by Besties, Chamron. Since beginning my recipe/cooking journey she's been sure to share with me the few times that she's tried a recipe at home and so I decided to call her out and actually make her put in some work for me and my wonderful followers! ;) So the following is her Guest Blog-I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :)

So I had this bag of swordfish in my freezer for a few months because I had never tried it and decided it was cheaper to try it at home than in some restaurant. So I thawed it out. Then I realized I had NO IDEA what to do with it!
So I went online and looked at recipes and finally found a nice simple one that you can see
here (http://southernfood.about.com/od/swordfishrecipes/r/bl30317j.htm).

Basically it’s a mix, dump, then bake and serve dish! I LOVE the simplicity.
The changes I made were that I did not include mushrooms because I don’t like their texture and I skipped tomatoes because I HATE their flavor. Instead of putting tomato slices on the fish I sliced up a yummy sweet orange that I had on hand.
Then I followed the directions after that.




As you can see by the picture, it came out BEAUTIFULLY! It looked delicious and we were ready to eat!

Then we tried it.
The oranges had become SOUR beyond belief! We decided that it was due to the lemon juice in the mixture. And the overall flavor was of FISH with just a hint of something else. I have to assume, based on this one and only experience with this type if fish, that swordfish is one of those extra fishy flavored fish. The ingredients were really much too mild to combat the extreme fishy flavor.
My mother, my two young sons, and I were the brave volunteers for this experiment and none of us finished our fish. We agreed it was “Okay” but we just didn’t like it enough to finish what was on our plates- and what was left got thrown out. If it’s that inedible when it’s fresh, it certainly won’t be any better reheated later!
The recipe itself is probably fine….for a different fish. But I don’t recommend substituting the tomatoes for oranges like I did. I don’t believe I will use this recipe again OR bother with swordfish. It wasn’t for us.

~Note from Mo-
While I'm way excited about this recipe, it won't be tried in our house anytime soon. Nick is opposed to ALL things seafood so...
I hope that you try it (if you're a swordfish fan that is) and of course, be sure to let me know when you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a little love. I LOVE comments and am appreciative of yours. Feel free to leave me the link to your page and/or newest post as well! I'm all about Link Love! :)