Saturday, April 9, 2011

Thursdays 2 new tries

This weeks schedule and meal plan hasn't exactly gone as designed. 1st, Dominic found out that he was going out of town for the whole weekend for work, then it changed to 5 days, then it changed into 8 days. Some recurring insomnia interfered with wednesday's recipe. And of course, to top it all off, there apparently isn't a battery in this house that my camera deems worthy to power it and my cell phone camera just doesn't cut it. I tell ya...some days! ;) At any rate, I managed to get back on track, with the exception of my on-strike-camera, Thursday and I tried "Fettuccine with creamy chicken". When all was said and done, it's really Chicken Alfredo from scratch. But let me tell you, I think it was better than almost any I've ever had in a restaurant. I also made another new recipe on thursday, Baked Mushrooms with bacon. Again, another success! Woo hoo!!! Nick said the bacon was just a little too crunchy for his preferences but Justice definitely didn't have that opinion. Justice, surprisingly, ate several mushrooms and she had seconds of the chicken with sauce (she won't eat pasta). I got great results and it was wonderful!
Here are the recipes;

Fettuccine with Creamy Chicken - courtesy http://www.mealsforyou.com/
Prep: 10 min, Cook: 25 min.
9 ounces fettuccine pasta (I used 16oz and had a small amount uneaten for 3 adults+leftovers)
1 lb. chicken breast fillets, cut into thin strips (I cooked 3 breasts, then sliced)
1 ounce unsalted butter
2 ounces unsalted butter, extra
1-1/4 cups cream
1-1/3 cups Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
1 tsp. black peppercorns, cracked (I just added pepper till it looked good ;) )1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp. dried basil leaves
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water 8-10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, keep warm. Melt butter in a heavy nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches if necessary, 3-4 minutes, stirring until tender. Transfer to paper towel to drain. Melt remaining butter in pan, add cream, stirring over heat until boiling. Stir in chicken and remaining ingredients. Cook until heated through. Serve over fettuccine.

AND

Baked Mushrooms with Crispy Bacon - also http://www.mealsforyou.com/
Prep: 5 min, Cook: 15 min.
8 large mushrooms, flat (I used 12-14 medium/large white mushrooms, stems removed)
1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. olive oil
3 bacon slices, diced (we like bacon, I used 4 strips)2 cloves garlic, crushed
2-3/4 Tbs. butter
1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (I used dried)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place mushrooms, stalk side up, on a baking tray. Heat oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Cook bacon until crispy; remove from heat. (I used microwave ready bacon) Add garlic, butter and chopped parsley, mix to combine (I let the bacon cool and crumbled in my hands into pan with mix). Spoon bacon mixture onto mushrooms. Bake in moderate oven for 7-10 minutes or until mushrooms have softened slightly. Suggestion: Serve with scrambled eggs. (good suggestion, I might try that!)



I hope you enjoy both of these as much as we did. Add these to the 'win' column for us, and hopefully for your family as well!
Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a little love. I LOVE comments and am appreciative of yours. Feel free to leave me the link to your page and/or newest post as well! I'm all about Link Love! :)