Sunday, April 17, 2011

But I've been excited about these all week!!!!

Hey there!
Well, it's late Sunday night and here come the posts for this past week... ;)
So Saturday was Egg Roll day. I was looking forward to this idea all week. While perusing recipes and magazines and such I came up with an idea to do homemade egg rolls. Put a little of this, a little of that, suited just to our tastes and Yay! a fun meal and wayyy cheaper than going out for them right?! Right! Mostly.....
I have a fryer and certainly could have fried them, traditional style, but I wanted to go the healthier route and found a few very different recipes online that told me what temp to throw them in the oven to bake them. Great idea Mo! Thanks! If only it worked out that way... Don't get me wrong-they were delicious...if you could get through the super hardened skin without breaking a tooth. Baking was not the right course... I'll give you the "recipe", if you can call it that, and you can do with it what you will. .....   I just don't suggest baking them....

1 pkg (16) Egg roll wrappers
2 small zucchini-peeled and shredded
1/2 lb carrots-shredded
10-12 whole water chestnuts-diced (or just pay more attention than I did and buy the pre-cut stuff!)
2 chicken breasts-cooked then shredded (I cooked them with soy sauce for flavor)
4 oz Bean sprouts
-upon searching I found suggestions for celery, cabbage (traditionally used), onion, fresh ginger, and green peppers.
I also used "Gourmet Garden Lemon Grass Herb Blend" found in the same section as the egg roll wrappers and various cold stored herbs. (It comes in a squeeze tube)
Dipping sauces of your choice (we used a "spring roll dipping sauce" and soy sauce)

I layered the ingredients differently in almost each roll and followed the 'rolling' instructions on the package of wrappers. I lighty covered my Pampered Chef Baking Stone with cooking spray (the dough can be sticky) and then sprayed the rolls lightly before putting them in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes. I don't think less time would have made them any softer though. Dominic was the only one who was a big fan of these and has expressed a desire to have them again. When I said that I would try frying them next time, Nick said he would certainly try them, as will I. Evan was just not a fan of the ingredients (even though he likes all but the bean sprouts on their own-that's an 8 year old boy for ya!).
So. There you have it. Certainly not a complete failure, but not a raving success either. I'm not going to let this get me down though. We'll try again...eventually...and you can rest assured (because I know you were worried) that I will let you know how attempt #2 plays out.
That's it for Egg roll night-
I do hope you try them and enjoy (but if you bake them I'm telling your dentist you were given fair warning!)
Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a little love. I LOVE comments and am appreciative of yours. Feel free to leave me the link to your page and/or newest post as well! I'm all about Link Love! :)