Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fried Rice with peas and chicken

It's Tuesday again. And the beginning of April at that! Where did the 1st 3 full months of this year go? It feels like it's been zooming by, well, in hindsight at least... I hope that yours is going smoothly, however fast or slow it may feel.
As for today, it went by rather quickly for me and while I didn't feel nearly as productive as I would've liked to be, I still managed a new recipe that was delicious. This evening held Fried Rice for us. The original recipe that I got from one of my fave sources, http://mealplanningmommies.blogspot.com/, is for Sweet pea fried rice but I added some chicken to round it out to a complete meal and it worked great. Can't build anything up that doesn't have a great foundation right?! ;) So here is the recipe for you;

Sweet Pea Fried Rice
8 green onions, white and light green parts
1 clove garlic- chopped
6 cups cooked rice (2 cups dry)
 *Rule of thumb-1 cup dry rice makes 3 cups cooked
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 10 oz package frozen green peas (thawed)
4 large eggs-beaten
salt and pepper
(I added 2 small breasts cooked and diced chicken)

Step 1: Slice and Dice your green onions- use both light and dark green parts
Step 2: Cook your rice- you need about 6 cups after cooking
Step 3: Dice up 1 clove of garlic
Step 4: Heat up about 2 tbs. vegetable oil to medium heat and add garlic and green onions
 Just a Tip- I cooked mine TOO LONG! You really only need to cook them about 3 minutes. If you overcook they won't be as tasty!
Step 5: Add 6 cups COOKED Rice to cooked garlic and green onions
Step 6: Add 1/4 cup soy sauce and stir
Step 7: Add 1 pkg. thawed sweet peas, stir.
Step 8: Beat 4 eggs
Step 9: Push rice mixture to one side
Step 10: Pour in eggs and cook
Step 11: Cook until eggs are slightly scrambled
Step 12: Mix scrambled eggs w/ rice
Step 13: Serve and ENJOY!
 (I added my chicken last so it did not have the full flavor of the rest of the rice. I recommend cooking it at the start then adding it to the rice at the same time as the soy sauce and rest of the ingredients. That's what I'll be doing next time)

Price of Meal: $3.00 (without chicken)
Serves: 6
Cost per serving: 50 cents


I hope that you enjoy this great chinese take out alternative. It's easy, relatively quick and nicer on the wallet!
Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a little love. I LOVE comments and am appreciative of yours. Feel free to leave me the link to your page and/or newest post as well! I'm all about Link Love! :)