Thursday, March 17, 2011

Zucchini Casserole - recipe #5

Happy Thursday and St. Patrick's Day to you!

So yesterday I tried the Zucchini Casserole recipe I found on http://www.naturalfamilyrecipes.com/ . The recipe says it serves 6-8 and I was a little questioning given the amounts listed in the ingredients. Since it's topped with stuffing, that helps do just that, but I'd still say 'serves 5-6'.

Prep wasn't too time consuming, I'd say all-in-all, about 20 minutes. Since the cooking method once all prep is done is baking, the 45 minute cook time is no biggie.


Serves 6-8 (5-6)
3 cups cut-up zucchini (I thinly sliced them)
2 carrots shredded
1 small onion (I used a Tbsp or so of dried minced)
1 can cream of chicken soup (I used organic creamy mushroom)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup melted butter
4 ounces Pepperidge Farm stuffing (I used the whole 6oz box of Stove Top Low Sodium Chicken)
1 ½ cups cooked chicken (I threw mine in the chopper and shredded it since it was cold leftovers from the other day)
Cook zucchini, onion and carrot in a small amount of water for ~ 10 minutes.  Drain.  Mix melted butter with cooked stuffing.  Add sour cream, chicken soup and chicken.  Mix and put in casserole dish.  Sprinkle top with stuffing.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.


I questioned at first glance whether or not the stuffing was supposed to be cooked prior to adding the melted butter and topping the casserole (I almost NEVER make stuffing), but after thinking about it for a moment and realizing it wouldn't moisten up and cook itself in the oven, I cooked it according to box directions then added the melted butter over the top. In a mixing bowl (that I had had the veggies in prior to cooking) I mixed the sour cream and the soup then added the chicken. I then put the veggies in the pan and added the soupy chicken mixture to it and mixed well. It seemed easier than trying to mix it all in a bowl then putting it in the pan....in my mind anyway. ;)


It was delicious and well received. Justice picked out the zucchini slices, I think because of their texture, but ate the rest quite happily. Evan and I both had small second helpings and there was just a little bit leftover. This one is another 'repeat' in the future! Yay!

Hope you all enjoy making and eating this one as much as we did.
Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a little love. I LOVE comments and am appreciative of yours. Feel free to leave me the link to your page and/or newest post as well! I'm all about Link Love! :)