Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tomato FREE Meatloaf - New recipe's #3 & 4

Hello all! :) Well, I attempted new recipe #'s3 & 4 last night. #3 was a NO tomato meatloaf that I found on http://www.bakespace.com/. I personally, am not a meatloaf fan. It made frequent appearances in my mom's house and was never one of my favorites but in an attempt to find more options, I decided to try it. Let me tell ya now....It was Good!! :) I even had a small 2nd helping (as did Evan). Justice quite enjoyed it as well. And just a word of warning; Nick tried ketchup on it...Not a good choice apparently. LOL  As mine was made with ground turkey instead of beef, that could be the culprit but-consider yourself warned! ;) I made this, as with most of these recipes, during the late morning/afternoon and then refrigerated it once cooled. I preheated the oven to about 325 or so and threw this on (covered in foil) to reheat. It handled this quite well. I was also rather impressed because it was NOT dry. At all! Yay! So here's the recipe. My changes are in red (as always).

1 lb each of ground beef and ground chuck (I used 2lbs ground turkey)
1 cup chopped green peppers (I omitted-no peppers in THIS house)
1/2 cup minced onion (I used dried and didn't measure this much out-just sprinkled in)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used cornflake crumbs)
2 eggs
1/2 can Cream of Mushroom soup (I used 10 1/2 oz [standard can size] of Organic Creamy Mushroom)
1/2 can Cream of Chicken soup (I omitted [cream of chicken in with beef or turkey??])
1 packet dry onion soup mix
DIRECTIONS
I added some celery, a few dashes of Tabasco, and some Hamburger seasoning -- quite good and the sandwich the next day was stellar!

Mix all ingredients together.

Bake in a loaf pan at 350° for about 75 minutes or until done.




I added some diced celery and it was a nice addition. Afterward, I see I probably could have used a little more cornflake crumbs, but all in all it was quite good! :)

I also made another new recipe last night, Buttermilk & Bacon Mashed Potatoes that I found on meals4you.com. I grew up with pretty tasty skin-on, hand mashed potatoes (never instant in my mom's house) and that's what I made for years. I admit, I've done almost solely instant potatoes for the last 2 years out of laziness, but I got back to the good stuff last night. My apologies for the lack of pics for this one, they were done in a little bit of a rush after I got home late from karate (Ayahhhhhh!!!!!!). Here's the recipe;

Bacon and Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Prep: 10 min, Cook: 30 min.
•3 slices of bacon
•2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and quartered (I left skin on and used about 4-5 med. potatoes)
•1/2 cup buttermilk (I added a little more when they looked a little dry during mashing)
•1 Tbs. fresh chives or scallion tops, chopped (I used dried chives)
Sauté bacon in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat 4-5 minutes, or until crisp. Transfer to paper towels and drain, reserving 1-1/2 tsp. drippings. (I used pre-cooked bacon and just nuked it for 22 seconds) Crumble bacon and set aside. Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water about 30 minutes, or until very tender. Drain well. Return potatoes to pot. Add buttermilk, reserved bacon and drippings and salt and pepper to taste. Mash and add chives. I also threw in some finely shredded cheese as well to top it off.
These were a little dry and thick (I prefer creamy) for my taste. The buttermilk certainly adds a different flavor. I usually just add milk and butter to desired consistancy with my normal potatoes...

I hope you all enjoy these 2 recipes and by all means-let me know what you think!!

Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a little love. I LOVE comments and am appreciative of yours. Feel free to leave me the link to your page and/or newest post as well! I'm all about Link Love! :)