Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Orange Turkey with Rice

Well, I find myself playing catch-up again. This is the 3rd recipe that should have been posted last week with the others but my "blogging ninja" day only took me so far...
So...with pictures and everything!!! I give you Orange Turkey with Rice found in the Cook's Library One Pot cookbook. Although, let me preface this one with-this is NOT a One pot meal. 2 at best (if you have 6 cups leftover cooked rice), but most likely 3...
Serves 5 with leftovers as modified (originally says it serves 4)

1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 medium chopped onion (I used dried minced)
1 lb skinless lean turkey cut into thin strips (I used 1 1/2 lbs.)
1 1/4 cups unsweetened orange juice
1 bay leaf
3 cups small broccoli florets (I used 3 heaping cups)
1 large zucchini, diced
1 large orange
6 cups cooked brown rice (I used long grain white)
salt and pepper
to garnish;
9-10 pitted black olives, drained and quartered
shredded basil leaves






Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the onion and turkey, stirring, for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned. Pour in the orange juice and add the bay leaf and seasoning. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to a boil and cook the broccoli florets, covered, for 2 minutes. Add the diced zucchini, then bring back to a boil. Cover and cook for another 3 minutes. Drain and set aside. Using a sharp knife, peel off the skin and white pith from the orange. Slice down the orange to make thin circular slices, the halve each slice. Stir the broccoli, zucchini, rice, and orange slices (my oranges got mangled in the mixing) into the turkey mixture. Gently mix together and season, then heat throught for a further 3-4 minutes, or until the mixture is piping hot. Transfer the turkey rice to warm serving plates and garnish with black olives and shredded basil leaves.



This recipe was good. I, somewhat unfortunately, bought iron-enriched rice which just doesn't cook as well as non. Not a mistake I'll be making again. Otherwise, it was tasty. Good flavors and everything all in one easy scoop. Meat, veggies, starch. Good stuff. :)
Hope you try this one and enjoy!

Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a little love. I LOVE comments and am appreciative of yours. Feel free to leave me the link to your page and/or newest post as well! I'm all about Link Love! :)